Years 1 & 2 Plym
Welcome to Plym Class Page
Here you will find useful information about our Year 1/2 class as well as recent highlights.
Class Teacher (Mon-Weds) - Mrs. Sophie Daykin
Class Teachers (Thurs-Fri) - Mrs Milly Moloney
Class Teaching Assistant (Mon-Fri) Mrs. Sarah Long
Learning in Plym class
In Plym, we believe that learning should be fun, interesting and purposeful. We build upon the firm foundations of Tavy class and provide opportunities for every child to reach their potential. We promote independent learning through continuous provision and enhancements, tailored to the needs and interests of our learners.
In Plym class the children enjoy two lessons of PE per week. They need to wear their PE kits to school on Wednesday and Friday.
PE is taught on Wednesday by a member of District Sports (usually Mr Hoff) and on Friday by Mrs Moloney.
In the Summer term we will be learning and practising our fundamental skills: running, jumping, balancing, catching and throwing.
We love reading at St Georges. In Plym class, children read each morning during registration, so they need to bring their reading records each day.
Children will be sent home with 3 books, these can be changed on Mondays or Thursdays:
- A Library book - this is book is to be shared with an adult - it is the child's choice and not linked to their reading ability.
- A dandelion reader - this is linked to their phonics phase and used to practise the mechanics of reading.
- A phonics phase book - this is for your child to read to you to build fluency and enjoyment.
At present, all books are quarantined for 48 hrs before being sent home.
Reading is taught through:
- Daily phonics lessons.
- Whole class reading - where we study a text in depth for the half term.
- 1:1 reading - throughout the week your child will read with an adult at school.
- Daily story time.
PLEASE read with your child at least 3 x per week.
We use Tapestry to keep in touch with parents, to set home learning tasks and to share examples of what we get up to.
It has been a strange year but that hasn't stopped us from our awesome learning! Here are some of our best bits.
Some useful websites to support learning:
Phonics and reading